Monday, April 23, 2007

Back from vacation

I have not fallen off the ends of the earth. Or if I did, I'm back now. This evening David and I returned from our little, much needed vacation.

We spent two nights in St. Augustine, FL which was wonderful. David and I do plenty of traveling, but it's always for family engagements or some event where we need to follow others' schedules. This was the first time since our honeymoon when we just did what we wanted to do, for ourselves. When we first got into our hotel room we just sat on the couch and sighed for about an hour. There was no need to do anything but just sit. It was almost painful to feel my body slowly open, but painful in a very good way. There has been so much stress around here lately that my body had just been moving in on itself. It was nice to let some of that go.

We spent alittle extra moolah to stay in the downtown area and not have to drive to most places. That was wonderful. We walked down St. George Street a couple times, walked to the Castillo de San Marcos, had lunch downtown one day, etc. We also went to the beach both Friday and Saturday for some very cold and windy 5 minute swims. Perhaps my favorite memory (outside of just relaxing in our room) was Friday night when we decided, after having spent the evening in our room, that we felt like going out. (This is VERY unusual for us.) So, at 8:30 we sauntered outside, not having any idea what we would do. Then we heard live music and walked towards it. There was a fabulous fair happening 2 blocks from our hotel that we easily walked to and spent a few hours at. Totally spontaneous, and totally cool. We mostly just had fun walking around and watching people being playful and happy. We went on the ferris wheel and haunted house too.

Here's a pic of a moment when David had me laughing quite a bit. We were at the Castillo de San Marcos and I was casually, playfully asking him, "so, what's this place supposed to be for anyway?" He lowered his voice and playfully flexed his muscles. "WAR! Can't you feel the war?" So, I pointed across the fort and asked, "what are those?"


"War strollers! Those are war strollers!" I had a good laugh over that.
I'm glad I saw the fort, simply because I'm fascinated by those old structures. But, once I saw the basic construction of it I got a bit bored. That's ok though. We had plenty else to do.
After St. Augustine we went up to Macon, GA where we met up with some friends of David's from when we first met 5 years ago. There's a lot to that story which I won't get into now but I had a nice time and had some good connections.
And....we're back.
I have lots of knitting news to share, and actually already took the pictures, but I think I'll save that for another day. Have a good week everyone :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:21:00 PM, Blogger Amy (Mama) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Oops--sorry, Abigail! I wrote a comment with my other blogger account and had to delete it to protect Hester's anonymity.

I'm glad you two had such a nice time in St. Augustine! Sometimes all it takes is a couple of days away, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home