Saturday, March 17, 2007

Routine during travel

Thanks to Lorena for her comments on how she survives while traveling:

"....I got a laptop with three different ways to connect to the Internet, so that I can take care of email (and, uh, blog surfing) while on the go. I try to keep my routine as similar as I can; if I have time in the morning I have coffee and take care of email then like I do at home. Extras of all my usual toothpaste/toothbrush/shampoo things and keep them in a travel case all ready to go. And I got some of my favorite soap, and a plastic soap thing to carry it in. Makes me feel just a wee bit like I'm still home!..."

I really like the idea of keeping the traveling routine as similar as possible to one's normal routine. I had thought to get a laptop mainly so that I wouldn't have to deal with all the emails when I got back, but Lorena's comment made me realize that it's more than that. It's keeping a sense of normalcy, even when I'm away from what is most normal to me.

In the mornings I usually get up, start soaking my Chinese herbs to drink later, and then check my email. Since we have dial-up, I usually get ready for the day while things are loading. Then I eat breakfast and get going. I could keep a similar routine while traveling. In general, I like the idea of keeping the idea of "normal" in mind during my travel. Rather than completely changing things I could try to eat similar foods, try similar activities, etc. Not that I will always do that- I want to have some fun of course. But, that idea feels good.

Thanks Lorena :)

Two other bloggers I read recently spent over about a month and a half living halftime between the hospital and home in order to be with their newborn daughter while she became strong enough to come home with them. I noticed that although things were pretty crazy during that time, they did seem to develop a routine while they got through. Even little things, like always stopping at this particular Starbucks after being at the hospital, seems to make more of a difference than just caffeine-intake. I think it provides a mental and emotional grounding as well.

Routine is important - and is undervalued most of the time. Let's hear it for "the same old thing"! ;)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about routine. I'm trying to find one for myself. It's hard, as I'm not good at sticking to anything... Everything I've heard from doctors and therapists, though, is that people with mental illnesses do best when they have a normal routine (normal bedtime/wakeup time, especially). Someday...

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 1:37:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

I think that Lorena's onto somthing big here. It really is all about routine and familiarity when you can't be at home.

When we were in the hospital with Hester, we had duplicates of all our normal hygiene products. I even found a tiny moisturizer that's the same as my normal one so my skin didn't go TOO crazy with the different water and a different moisturizer (ah, but I forgot about the stress factor! Damned skin!). Also, every Saturday and Sunday Petunia and I ordered the exact same breakfasts from the hospital cafeteria. We ate them in the same way, too--across from each other over a hospital table with baby Hester beside us in her travel crib. I actually began to look forward to weekends at the hospital, in part because we managed to carve some space for ourselves into the crazy vitals-every-four-hours schedule the baby was keeping.

On a bigger level, I'm an Army brat, so I know about maintaining continuity and promoting familiarity wherever I go. I'm very flexible place-wise (probably why I didn't go absolutely bananas in the hospital), but it's only because I'm so hardcore anal about the familiarity factor. I think that if you can build in lots of comfort and familiarity when you're away from home, you'll have a much easier time with your transition to school. Just my two cents!

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 4:29:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

It's nice to hear more about your experience with routine Clementine. I didn't realize about your being an army brat- I guess you really WOULD have to be good at maintaining a sense of normality wherever you went. I'm going to keep all these thoughts with me as I prepare for my trips to Philly, and while I'm there. It helps to hear from others about the importance of home comforts and taking care of routines. Hearing about your hospital breakfasts also reminds me that even if I can't keep the same routine I have at home, I can create a new routine that I stick to.

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

So true! You can also bring some small (and easily packed) things from home, like your favorite pillowcase or your favorite washcloth--anything that helps you feel more like yourself. Petunia and I also leave cards for each other when we travel, one for each day we're apart plus scattered little ones in luggage or around the house. When we miss each other, we open the cards and know the other is right there in spirit. Sounds cheesy, I know, but it works for us!

I know that you will find your own way when you're at school. The very fact that you're thinking about it now says that you won't find yourself stranded up north without any comforts from home! Best wishes with all your preparations.

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:12:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Totally not cheesy. Or atleast, if it is cheesy, I like it :) I'm relieved to hear that David and I aren't the only ones who leave notes around the house for one another. It warms my heart to feel that sense of connection btw the two of you too :)

Thanks for your words of experience and your encouragement Clementine. What you've said has helped me think of ways to handle this. The hardest part of these trips will be being apart from David. But, we're working on that. Nothing can take the place of a snuggle, but emails, love notes, phone calls, and possible webcams can help. :)

Thanks again.

 
At Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:20:00 PM, Blogger Lorena said...

You know, I forgot to mention-- but if we're travelling for more than a weekend, I also take my pillow. Ever since a car accident a few years ago I've had to use a special pillow, and it's nice to have it with me on long trips. Especially long car trips when you're staying at cheap hotels with crappy pillows!

 
At Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:26:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Hee...that's something I always do too. I sometimes feel like I'm just bulking up my luggage, but I even bring it on plane trips. I stuff it down into my backpack so that I can nap on the plane.

SO, that's something I have covered atleast. There's nothing like a bad pillow to make a trip miserable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home