Saturday, February 17, 2007

A knitter in Florida

Since moving to Florida 1 1/2 years ago, I have had to come to terms with the season of summer. Not that I don't like summer- I do. I just also enjoy the other seasons as well. The other seasons, to me, help to define summer somehow.

This summer thing has really changed the way I see knitting too. Worsted weight was my good friend when I lived in the northeast. I now play with lace weight and fingering weight almost exclusively. Socks are my main project of choice because even in FL, you need socks.

But, the last couple months have actually been cool (as in "low in temperature"). I keep wanting to knit gloves, hats, sweaters, etc., and then stopping myself because I know this cool weather will end any day. I SHOULD be knitting on my Simple Knitted Bodice, which has long been sitting dormant- so that I'll have a nice top when the warm weather comes. But, I admit that there is something about the warm, cozy items that I crave. I find myself thinking that I probably will never end up knitting hats, sweaters, etc., since by the time I start wanting to knit them, it's summer again already.

HOWEVER... I just realized something!

I'm going to be going to Philadelphia! For 2 weeks in the fall and 2 weeks in the winter, over the course of 2 years, I will be in a cooler climate- even when it's summer in FL. That's 8 weeks of warm cozy knitted item wearing! How exciting.

So, now I'm inspired. I really could knit those things!

I'm craving a beautiful hat for the cool weather. Also, I've been interested in trying my hand at cables. What better way to try cables than on a smaller item, like a hat. I've been looking around but haven't found the right pattern yet. Any ideas? I'd like something pretty, but not too busy. The hats here , and here are on the right track, but I'm not sure yet. Other options?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:06:00 AM, Blogger idyllicchick said...

I like the Wavy Cable Lace cap a lot! But it doesn't actually have any cables in it, if you're hankering to give a try at those. Call me a geek, but I'm a sucker for Hermione's Cable (And Bobble) hat. I would personally replace the bobbles with pretty buttons, or just leave them off entirely.
http://knit.atypically.net/hats/hermione/
Matching mittens, too!
http://knit.atypically.net/handwear/hermione/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home