Monday, February 19, 2007

Shawl progress and completed socks

Somehow I managed to finish Amy's socks and complete the center part of the shawl within the same 24 hour period. In a way, I feel very productive having done this, although I don't think I would haven't chosen it to be this way. I like starting something new when I still have an old friend to come back to at the same time. But, the result? Pictures!


So do you guys like seeing pictures? Cause I often find that I can't decide on what angle to show. I just want to show them all. I like to see pics on people's blogs, so I hope you do too. Is there a reason to limit pictures?


Anyway... So, I completed chart 3 on the Flowing River Shawl. I had taken about a week off from the shawl at one point since I got discouraged after a mishap. Happily though, I fixed it and progress continued.

(Yes, that's a Holiday Inn pen on top of the shawl- to give some scale to the pic. No endorsement of Holiday Inn is intended...although I did choose IT over a Travelodge pen...hmmmm.)


At the end of chart 3 you bind off and then pick up stitches along the bottom two edges of the triangle to make the border. I am now stuck at this point since I don't seem to quite understand the directions. I'm fairly new to this, so I probably have it confused. But, when I do the math for the directions, I come up with 1 fewer stitches than I'm supposed to get. I have emailed the designer and am hoping for some pointers to get me back on my feet.



Unfortunately, I committed a grave error at one point and glided over a crucial direction. I'm meant to bind off WITHOUT BREAKING YARN!!! Well, I read that, but then decided that Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off would be perfect for the lace. Somehow I conveniently forgot (until I completed the bind-off) that the breaking-of-yarn required in that bind-off contradicts the no-breaking-of-yarn required. So, I'm not sure what I'll do now. Silk doesn't weave in easily. I don't want a knot in it either though. IDEAS ANYONE? Can I weave it in somehow after all?


For a short time however, I'm content to just enjoy the stage I'm at. It's fun to have it off the needles for a bit.






and...SOCKS! Prior to Christmas, my best friend Amy and I had a good conversation that helped us both relax. We agreed that we wouldn't stress to get each other Christmas presents by Christmas Day itself. This has felt very good, since I wanted to do something special for Amy, but knew I wouldn't have time before Christmas. Knitting these socks has been a joy; they helped me contemplate on her, our relationship, and aspects of the ways we relate. This colorway jumped out at me as THE socks for her, even though I didn't necessarily think of them as her colors. For reasons that are too complex to discuss on a blog, I have come to feel that this skein was, and is, the perfect yarn for her socks.

Happily, I present...Amy's socks.


Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill "Supersock", colorway "Northern Lights".

I used size 1 DPNS (except size 0 for the cuff, as I usually do nowadays).

I really like this yarn. As everyone says, it's very squishy and has strong stitch definition. These are solid socks, but still very soft. CTH impressed me and I will definitely be using them again. Since I've been knitting socks, I think I've had happy things to say about every brand I've tried. However, as I try more and more, I realize that some I had tried at the beginning aren't necessarily my favorite anymore. CTH showed me a quality in sock yarn that I like- the stitch definition and the solid, squishy feel. I didn't think I liked stitch definition, but I do. The sock itself feels like it holds up better somehow.

I balled up some Autumn House Farm yarn today. These will be for ME! I actually have no socks for myself at this point. I'm very excited. This yarn looks happy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Thursday, March 01, 2007 1:33:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

I think it's wonderful that you're so thoughtful with your knitting. Your friend Amy must treasure these socks, esp. knowing that you made them just for her with lots of love. What a perfect gift for your best friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home