Friday, March 16, 2007

Knitting a top...why not?

I had a great time today visiting with Silvia. We've had the pleasure of getting together every few weeks for a while now to knit and chat. It had been some time since we last got together, due to vacations and illness, etc., and it just felt fun to hang out and knit and laugh and talk. She seems like a more experienced knitter than I am, and I always learn a lot hanging out with her. Also, she is inspiring me to work on larger projects. She is very good about working on things like sweaters and tops- somehow, they always look great on her. So, I've been thinking about why I don't knit tops more:

1) I'm always afraid of knitting tops because I don't trust that they will actually fit. Socks feel safer. I think there is some reality in this issue. I dislike swatching 10 times in a row (as I did for the Simple Knitted Bodice. However, I don't think this should happen all the time- particularly now that I've learned how to wash my knits correctly.

2) I feel as though a top would be a huge project. Thus, the yarn and pattern and everything else must be chosen with absolute precision. If I'm going to dedicate that much time, it has to be JUST RIGHT! You know...when I think about how many stitches are in a pair of socks- with those tiny needles and thin yarn- and then think about the number of stitches in a top, I realize that it isn't necessarily a huge deal.
3) I'm in Florida. How am I going to wear any knitted tops? Well, this one is blown out of the water since I've been seeing with Silvia knits and also that there are a number of lovely short sleeved tops that are quite becoming. Lace. I like the lace.

So, I may start expanding my range of comfort beyond the sock. I will still knit socks. I like having one on hand for those "small, easy project" times. But, I'd like more variety I think. Don't hold me to this or anything...but I'm going to try to start something else after the SKB. Well, after the SKB and the shawl.

Hey, wanna see the SKB in progress? Sure you do :) I've been contemplating whether to stop the lace where it is (at 1 1/2" rather than the suggested 3"). So, I put it on holders and tried it on. Now that I see it on me, I think I do want maybe 1/2" of lace. What do you think? I don't want the lace to look like a huge block in the middle of my tummy (which was why I was going to stop originally). On the other hand, I want enough for it to make an effect. At this point I have done 4 repeats of lace. Should I do one more?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Lorena said...

I did about 2 1/2 inches of lace; I justified not doing the 3 inches by saying that I'd already added length between the cleavage and the lace beginning. ;-) Just if that helps you at all in your decision-making process!

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:46:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Thanks Lorena. This morning I looked around at people's SKB FOs and realized that I don't know how much I like the full lace anyway. I decided to stop just where I was in this picture. I'm now back to stockinette.

I, like you, already knit btw the lace beginning and the cleavage, so... maybe that helps.

I felt guilty for awhile for skipping out on the lace. But, then I realized that it really was a design decision- not JUST because I didn't feel like knitting lace anymore (although I admit that had a part!)

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 9:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah- It fits great! I think that little bit of lace is perfect- just enough for the look you wanted. You are going to be very happy with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home