Sunday, May 06, 2007

"A History of Psychology"... Who knew?

I mentioned awhile back that I decided to skip the intro to research course for my Masters. I already took a Bachelor's level course and don't really want to spend my time looking at all that intro stuff again. However, I do want to make sure I'm successful in the next courses. This fall I'll be taking a qualitative research course- then I presume I'll take the quantitative research course in the spring.

I spent some time emailing back and forth with the main advisor at Temple. I couldn't quite decide if I was nuts to consider moving straight into the qualitative course. I asked them to email me the syllabus. My thoughts upon reading it? "!!!! uh !!!! what the... !!!" Then I realized that my stress was about the AMOUNT of work in the course, not necessarily the difficulty of the concepts. Actually, I already knew most of the "learning objectives" for the course. I went back and reread a couple things in my research book and felt I could do this.

So, then I emailed the professor who will be teaching the qualitative course. He is so very, very nice. I have known him before through my good friend and mentor, John, but hadn't experienced him in this role. He was very helpful. He was confident that I'd do fine with the course, given my background, and was totally willing to aid me in any areas I needed help in. Also, he suggested some passages for me to read this summer in the new edition of the research book (which I then purchased), as well as a chapter or so in another book - "A History of Psychology", by Thomas Leahey. I put Leahey on ILL at our county library and have been holding onto it. However, the due date is tomorrow so I finally am doing that reading this weekend.

I'm really enjoying it. I don't know how much I expected to like it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I thought I would find it boring. It IS boring, in it's way, but it's also very thought provoking- something I've been needing lately in my work. Very cool. So, these thoughts aren't necessarily aiding me in my day-to-day clinical work, but it just feels good to have some mentally challenging material to "broaden my horizons", so to speak. Next I'll try to get into some of those chapters in the research book.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'd love to talk about what you've been reading. I really dig psych history, and I don't really have anyone to discuss it with. :)

 
At Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:20:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

That's cool. The part that I read didn't necessarily get into the history of psychology (weird, given the name of the book), but more the background behind what makes psychology a science, how we test ideas in a science, how paradigms change, etc. It's interesting, but the part I'm meant to read doesn't really discuss different eras in psychology. I think that's later in the book.

Prior to reading, I had been wondering why this book was assigned for a research course, but I understand now. I think it helps to understand how we can study humans and why we should. Kinda cool.

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007 1:20:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

That's awesome. It's nice to get te ol' brain moving in a new direction, isn't it? You're giving me ideas for my own work. (I could use a little jump start these days.)

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007 6:33:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

That's cool Clementine :) Sometimes I get the feeling that you and I go through similar processes in our work- I am always very interested in the ways you find to find balance.

The reading definitely feels good. Funny that although the writing itself was rather dry and boring, it felt really stimulating to get me considering things and challenging myself. This is a good thing. I wonder how much my enjoyment of boring reading will hold up once I start my Master's. ;)

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2007 1:38:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Maybe your Master's program will be just as stimulating. Here's hoping, anyway!

 
At Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:34:00 PM, Blogger Hashbrown said...

I found I was hungry for every word I read, no matter how dry it was, when I returned to do my masters. There is something about returning to school after working that makes you want to learn in a way different from when you were an undergrad straight out of high school. Not to say that I did not complain about some of the books I had to read but under it all, I was eager to know more so I could deepen the work I was doing.

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:58:00 AM, Blogger LymeAware said...

That's really nice to hear, Hashbrown. I keep thinking this can't last, since I remember feeling really disenchanted with my experience in undergrad (not just because of my lack of clinical experience, but due to a very poor teacher/program as well, I think). But, I'm with you on this- I feel hungry for the input, the exploration, the consideration of new ideas.

People often talk about getting their Masters as a means to a new job or better paycheck. I'm mainly just excited for the experience.

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used my masters as a way to avoid burnout from working at a state psychiatric hospital as well as to learn more about MT practice. YOu know, start working on a deeper level, doing re-educative and transformative interventions. The supportive interventions and level of practice was just not cutting it for me. I wanted to know more of how music can help people on their journey to health. Going into my masters so hungry and eager kept me fueled for the late nights and long weekends of reading and writing. And my masters was worth every cent of it. I don't know if it will get me the better job for I already had this job when I was getting it but it has given me the tools I wanted and needed. I can work in depth with my clients. I learned how to write well, thus allowing for soon to be my third published journal article. It also gave me an understanding of and a strong foundation in psychological theories for which to base my clinical decisions upon. It was worth every penny I paid and tear I cried (usually accompanied by me saying "I can't do this"). I bet you will love it (except late at night when David is sleeping and you are really tired but you have to write some 30 page paper on the blah blah of music).

 
At Monday, May 14, 2007 8:37:00 AM, Blogger LymeAware said...

I love reading your last comment, Hashbrown. It's inspiring to hear about your experience and your reasons for doing your Masters. I never used to know why people went on for their masters. A lot of my classmates from my Bachelors wouldn't consider it, and if they did, they want to get a masters in something related, not MT. Your reasons for getting your masters seem similar to my own reasons, and knowing that you do a lot for the profession (articles, presentations, internships, etc.) makes that exciting. Just hearing someone else mention MT is stimulating now- around these parts I sometimes get to wondering if I made the whole thing up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home