Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Five things you don't know about me

I have been tagged! Hashbrown tagged me- thus increasing my blog coolness dramatically. I'll try not to let it go to my head ;)

Let's see...five things you don't know about me. I'm very pleased that my best friend Amy has started reading my blog. That will make this process alittle more difficult (in finding things you all don't know) and also kind of fun.

1) I was born with an "outie" belly button. I got teased. I remember swinging from the monkey bars in Kindergarten and being called "balloon belly". So, when I was 5 or 6 I had surgery to give me an "innie". I miss my outie- I kind of wish I hadn't gotten the surgery.

2) I have always loved smelling stuff. Well, more specifically, the combined sensation of smelling an object and feeling that object against my nose. As a child I always smelled my fork (without food on it)- well, I still do that sometimes. Honestly though I think it's more the feeling of the cool fork against the skin under my nose- something about it is comforting for some reason. As an adult I've become less conspicuous, but David still catches me at times.

3) I love thesauruses, phone books, and road atlases. They make me happy. As a teen I regularly read through the phone book for fun. For my 13th birthday, an adult friend told me, "Abigail- you are becoming a teen, a rebel! What do you want?" I asked for a Rand MacNally road atlas.

4) I don't like being wet when it's not appropriate to be wet anymore. I love to swim, I love baths, I love showers- but, once those things are over I really hate being wet for any period of time afterwards. This was something that often kept me from showering as a kid.

5) I grew up high on soccer. I loved it, and played every fall and spring in Parks and Rec from the age of 4. When I was in high school I made the junior varsity team, which felt great. My nickname was "Bigfoot"- a nickname I earned after making a goal over everyone's heads from the halfway mark on the field.

And, a bonus: As a child I had a milk-bottle-top collection. I have no idea how this started. You don't need to try and figure out what I mean by milk-bottle-tops, you were right the first time. I collected the colored plastic tops that came on plastic milk bottles. My Aunt Hester mailed me the ones she saved for me, which added some purple to my usual blue 1% milk bottles. In my more serious years as a collector, I even managed to buy some antique paper ones.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:18:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Your list really cracks me up, esp. the milk bottle top collection. I had a pencil collection as a child, so we're both ultra-geeks!

Also, do you really have an Aunt Hester or is that her bloggy pseudonym? Either way, I love it!

 
At Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:26:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Hee hee! That's cool- pencils are very useful, and can be quite unique. I think it sounds like an excellent choice for a collection.

In middle school I was supposed to give a presentation and be "persuasive" about something. I gave my presentation was on the benefits of milk bottle tops. I illustrated how they could be made into a rug, used to accessorize clothing (with masking tape backings), and quite cleverly decorate greeting cards. What my teacher must have thought! ;)

And yes, I do have an Aunt Hester. When I learned of your daughter's bloggy pseudonym it made me smile. I love the name Hester. My Aunt Hester is around 75 years of age and is one of the sweetest people I know. She spreads sweetness and happiness around her. Although she has had a hard life, she always has a smile and is very strong. I hadn't known of another Hester until I "met" you guys :) I like it.

 
At Monday, May 28, 2007 9:07:00 AM, Blogger becca said...

Hey there! We've missed you at SnB recently! Hope things are okay.

As for the smelling, I sort of know what you mean. One of my grad school roommates was from Pakistan, so she cooked with tons of spices, and I used to love to go into the kitchen when nobody else was home and open the jars and smell them. I was a secret smeller.

 
At Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG ABIGAIL! Ok first of all, No one ever told me YOU had a blog (ahem)! Secondly, I love it, Thirdly (um is that a word?) I've never met anyone with an Aunt Hester and lastly, thank u so much for your concerns, though u have me extremely curious about the "many concussions" part...do explain :) miss ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home