Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A time for myself

As soon as I knew I was going to Otsego, I knew I wanted this to be a time to do the things that I love- to care for the Abigailia in the ways that are just Abigailia. So, my first order of business? Search for yarn stores!

I was delighted to find a yarn shop that opened just this past year called ImagiKnit. They're right in downtown Gaylord and I felt welcome and happy there from the minute I walked in. I wasn't sure what to expect. I love Otsego Lake (as you may have gathered) and I love the feeling of community and old-town connectedness. I love imagining my great-grandmother walking down these streets. Imagining my grandmother eating at this restaurant. Although I love those things, I was hoping that this wasn't my grandmother's yarn shop. I mean, they recently opened so obviously she didn't shop here, but I prefer more modern yarn shops. I found it.

The minute I walked in I was welcomed by the owner. She also welcomed my mother and tried to find a way for my mom to use wireless internet. This was a ploy on my part to make my mom happy so that I could shop longer guilt-free. I think the owner understood my mind. Unfortunately, Mom couldn't hook up, but my non-knitting mother felt very welcomed and the two of us spent lots of time talking to the owner and another woman there. The other woman may have been her business partner? I'm not sure. But, she obviously has a hand in the yarn shop. Deby Lake was her name, and it quickly became clear that she knew a lot about knitting. She runs the SWTC sock club and designs all sorts of things. I had her sign my copy of one of her sock designs (it came with the Tofutsies I bought). I had loads of fun talking to both of them.

They had all the best yarns, as well as some less expensive things that looked appealing as well.

David, if you are reading this, you may want to avert your eyes at this point. Think of this as happy Abigail stash, not more yarn to add to my overfilling bookcase stash. It's all about the way you think about it.



In the back we have 3 balls of Universal Yarn: Deluxe Worsted LP in "Midnight Blues". I'm planning to use this for a bag Lorena inspired me on, called the Bling Bag. They actually had one knit up at the shop from this yarn. I was going to use Malabrigo for the bag, but I can't bring myself to make a $150 bag from that stuff. This is much more reasonable in terms of money. Plus, it's pretty.

On the right you'll see the "Tidal Wave Socks" pattern by Deby Lake that I got with the pink Tofutsies. Deby says it's the most downloaded sock pattern on the net!

To the left of the Tofutsies is Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in "Misty Moor". After which are two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in "Jeans". The Lorna's Laces and CTH were my attempts to have more male-friendly colors in my stash. Now and then I want to knit for a guy and find I don't have the colors they would like. So, these are good companies and now I have some color options. I've never tried Lorna's before, but I know I love CTH.

On the left-most side of the pic you'll find a skein that I'm pretty excited about for some future pair of socks- probably for myself. I don't usually go for pinks, but these colors are so beautiful- a combination of lavender, pink, peach, blue, turquoise, clay, etc. It's by a company called "Perchance to Knit", and the tag says, "handpainted with lovingcare exclusively for ImagiKnit". So, I'm pretty excited to have a pair of socks that will be my "Otsego Lake" socks- reminding me of that place. The yarn feels wonderful- maybe even softer than the CTH. It's 100% Superwash Merino and is in the colorway: "Cosmos".

To end, I'll show off a sock I finished before leaving for vacation. At this point I'm 2/3 through the leg of the other sock as well. This is Lana Grossa Meilenweit 1001. I used KnitPicks Essential for the heel and toe. Now that I'm done I realize I would have had plenty of yarn for the whole sock, but I was concerned I'd run out since these socks for a very large foot. Turns out that I kind of like this look though anyway.



I did quite a bit of knitting at the lake- mostly on a sock for David. I won't show that yet though. I'll wait till I'm done with both of them.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:38:00 PM, Blogger Deby said...

Abigail,
It was so nice to meet you and chat while you were visiting Gaylord. You really made my day as you are the first person to ask me to autograph one of my patterns! I would love to see them when you are done.
Lets keep in touch.
dtlake@hughes.net
Happy feet wear hand knit socks!
Deby

 
At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun to see your post on your blog! I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit here! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Maureen
ImagiKnit, Gaylord

 
At Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn was called "Seduction" by Oasis Yarn. Aptly named, I think!

 
At Sunday, July 08, 2007 2:26:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Mmm...that Seduction was yummy- I'll have to keep it in mind when I next have a splurging moment :)

 
At Friday, July 27, 2007 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I stopped in Gaylord July 7th on our way home from the Upper and I "discovered" ImagiKnits too! I purchased some beautiful bright blue CTH sock yarn and a couple of patterns. I had a similar enjoyable visit with the lady that waited on me. I didn't want to leave. Sure wish this was my LYS so I could participate in their knit-ins, classes, etc.

Patricia

 
At Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:55:00 AM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Thanks for writing Patricia- it's fun to hear that you had a similarly good experience. Good news for them too! The people in the shop are just about as important as the yarn itself, aren't they? And I felt positive on both those fronts :)

 
At Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been going there since they opened - a great store with a wonderful group of regulars who have become friends - Saturday mornings are knitting times and third Thursdays are spinning times. The yarn from "Perchance to Knit" is also local and I just made a shawl from one of her colorways [black with primary colors] that is just stunning. Her name is Susie.

So glad you enjoyed the store - come back soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home