Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

My mom moved to Gainesville last September. It's been wonderful to have her around and spend time with her more frequently. But, although I see her atleast once a week, it's rarely for very long. Again...the whole school thing takes so much time (am I sounding like a broken record with that one?).

So, I've been feeling pretty bad not hanging out with her more. This past weekend just happened to be my one weekend between semesters, happened to be mother's day, and David had a workshop in Orlando. So, I invited my mom to come down with us.

I met up with her at a Wekiwa state park near Orlando on Saturday and had a wonderful day. There was a wonderful spring there, and I think it has to be the largest swimming area I've seen at a spring. Although there were tons of people, there was plenty of room for swimming (especially since everyone seems to hang out around the shore-- leaving the middle free for actual swimming). We swam, went for a nice walk, swam again and just enjoyed the day. Lovely.

Afterwards we drove back to the hotel where David and I were staying. The next morning David and I surprised my mom with three pots of flowers and a card that were all sitting outside her hotel room door when she opened it. She let out a great whoop of laughter and exclaimed, "someone planted a garden outside my door!" Then I heard the sound of the musical card playing, "how sweet it is to be loved by you". She really enjoyed it, and I was glad.

THEN! We did something completely different and really had a memorable mother's day by going to Epcot! We rarely do anything that huge for mother's day, but this year we really made it special. It was wonderful. David still had his workshop so it was just me and mom, but we had a great time. My favorite was our lunch in Japan. They cook the food right at your table and it's really like a performance with flipping things around and making designs on the stove, etc. And of course later we went to Mars, got shrunk by the guy from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", tested a race car for General Motors, etc.

We met David for dinner on the way back home and here we are. Good stuff. All in all a very memorable weekend, and one that helped me relieve some of the stress and monotony of the semester. I feel as ready as I'm going to get for the summer semester.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

That sounds like a wonderful time! I love Epcot, too, though I sure didn't like the terrifying space simulator ride. The only thing that kept from crying and throwing up was the thought that we had an 8-year old in the pod with us. I had to tell myself, "Be brave for the little girl!" SO SCARY. I hope you missed that particular Epcot experience!

 
At Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:19:00 AM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Oh dear! That sounds awful. The rides are supposed to be thrilling, but not sickening! Actually, we did go on that ride, but they had the option of the orange mission (for a thrilling ride) or the green mission (for a mild ride). My mom felt embarrassed but told me she was a wimp and could we go on the mild ride. It happened that the mild ride had a 30 minute shorter wait time, so it was fine with me. Boy am I glad we went on the mild version- I felt a tad nauseous even in THAT one! I'm told that the mild ride doesn't have the spinning that the orange one does. I actually enjoyed it- but am glad it didn't move more than it did- I was just on the edge of that uncomfortable level of nausea.

I noticed that the "space capsule" had barf bags- really made me confident in our mission! Then, on our way out, there was a cleaning woman standing there with a mop and bucket, as though she were waiting. My mom hypothesizes that the orange mission was a bit too much for someone. So, you weren't the only one Clem.

 
At Friday, May 16, 2008 5:26:00 AM, Blogger Hashbrown said...

Ugh, Mission to Mars. My head hurt for hours after that ride. Ugh, the spinning.......

What a wonderful mothers day for you and your mother. I am glad you had a few moments to spend with her and to relax.

 
At Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:51:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Ah yes...as I remember, the mild ride was said to be the same as the usual ride except sans spinning. So, maybe that's why the difference ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home