Friday, May 02, 2008

End of the semester

My last paper for this semester is due in exactly a week. I finished my quantitative research papers and mailed them in early, which was a good move. I find that I thoroughly dislike doing quantitative research. I'm glad that it's there because it's necessary and sooooo important, and god bless the people who do it, but I really don't think I'm a a quantitative researcher. Getting through that class has been a biggie for me. But, I think I did a pretty darn good job for someone who hated it. So, that's good.

And I've finished my clinical supervision paper early as well. An intensely personal paper, it was easier to get through but still took a lot of focus (something I'm running short on lately).

So, I have today, Saturday and Sunday to finish my paper for Theories of Music Psychotherapy, which is a big paper but something I'm fairly interested in, so hopefully it won't be bad. I'll mail that in Monday morning and then begin work on my final paper for Foundations of MT, a class I've been enjoying quite a bit. We've been doing TONS of reading on various perspectives and approaches in MT- everything from behavioral and biomedical to GIM, music-centered MT, etc. Then the goal is to develop our own personal set of beliefs and our personal foundation for MT. What is music? What is therapy? What is MT? It gets pretty interesting...particularly since I really had no idea there was so much written on the theories of practice. And I get to really think about what I believe. Pretty exciting. So, that paper will be emailed into the professor by 9am next Friday. I should be able to make it.

This end-of-semester is going so much better than last semester. Last semester I literally worked 11 hours a day for two weeks straight to get everything done at the end. This time around I worked more consistently during the semester and have made myself take one day off each week throughout the semester in order to keep my sanity. That one day off has made a difference. So, although I haven't taken a day off in the last month of this semester, I'm still not nearly as crazy as last time. It's nice to not be completely loony! Which is a good thing because after handing in my final paper Friday I'll fly back to Philly the following Wednesday to start the summer semester. Terrific.

A source of pure joy for me in school has been the friendships I've been developing. Being in a long-distance program I really didn't know how much I'd feel connected to the people at school. After all, we spend a week or week and a half together 4-6 times a year and then sometimes interact through online discussion boards. But, during those weeks we're together in Philly we spend the entire day together. Some of us who fly in (there aren't that many) practically live together. Then we call and email and talk between classes, so it feels very close among us. With my professors too. I've built some strong connections with a few professors. The program is such that I feel I can really be myself. Something rare.

So, the stress of school has taken over a lot of my life in the last year. Something that feels a bit much at times. However, those friendships, and the sense of growth I've experienced inside myself is priceless. It's fairly amazing to stop occasionally, look at myself, and realize "Hey, I actually know some things. I actually have insights about some stuff. I'm a professional." I don't know what I expected from a Masters, but somehow I didn't expect to really feel that I'm educated. I didn't feel particularly educated after my bachelor's...I felt as though I could do some things and I was a good therapist. But, I didn't feel educated. It's a nice feeling. I'm more confident in my own skin.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, May 02, 2008 1:23:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Abigail, I'm really glad you're back! I love reading your posts.

I think it's really neat that you're developing so much as a professional in graduate school. Reading this post reminded me of when I got my M.A. as well; during those classes, I felt much more confident than I'd ever felt in college. I had a sense of pride in my learning, and I felt more accomplished and knowledgeable--not cocky, but secure. (Hmm, now I'm thinking that perhaps I should do what I can to recapture that pride and confidence. These days, both are sorely lacking.)

Best of luck with the end of your semester!

 
At Friday, May 02, 2008 6:01:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Thanks, it's good to be back :)

I can really relate to your feeling of your pride and confidence being lacking. That was a big part of why I went to school. It was feeling like I just did the same thing day in and day out and I didn't know why I kept doing it-- it didn't mean anything. I still have that sometimes, but it feels better. I would imagine being home all day with little kids would get pretty draining emotionally after awhile. It's hard to connect with people when you are in business for yourself. I still find that, even with being in school. My friends exist online. It's different to have people you interact with daily in person.

I just added that whole part about not having people to interact with and realized you didn't say anything about that in your comment. I guess I just sort of imagine it would feel that way though. Well, I know that feeling. Just know that you aren't alone.

 
At Monday, May 05, 2008 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Hashbrown said...

Hey Abigail.
I had the same experience when I got my masters. I did it at St. Mary of the Woods College, another distance learning program. We would only get together three times a year. In that time, we learned togetehr, stayed in the same building, ate together, played cards all night together, and became amazing friends who I am still in contact with. I learned as much from my collegues as from the professers. And the supprort from my collegues was invaulable during the course work and beyond. Similar to what you were saying, I too have built great relationships with the professors. I would not trade my time at St. Mary's for anything.

I also had a similar experience to you and Clementine. I never felt so proud and sure of myself as when I was in my classes for my msters. IT wasn't being cocky but finally I was confident enough in my knowledge and skills that I could reallly relax and enjoy learning. It was fabulous.

 
At Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:27:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Abigail--
So glad you're back blogging! Might even inspire me to get back.
I love reading about your Master's program, and I'm so excited for you. I know exactly what you mean, even though I didn't do it "at a distance." It is a wonderful program. My computer's almost out of power, more later...

 
At Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:12:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Hashbrown: sorry I didn't see this until just now. I gotta change my blog to tell me about these posts. That's wonderful to hear about your experience. Really lovely. That sounds so similar to my experience. I'm glad to hear about it.

Doug! So good to hear from you! Thanks for your excitement for me. I think of you often. I hope to hear more from you soon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home