Wednesday, November 21, 2007

This is why people love Florida

David and I spent last night in St. Augustine at a very nice hotel, a la Priceline. We've been having some good luck with Priceline, and while we're always a bit nervous using it, they pulled through for us again and we saved $20 off where we otherwise would have stayed. This was OUR time and I really felt that. David and I had some really good talks on Tuesday as we drove around FL-- we talked about where we are headed in our lives, what's important to us, who we thought we were, who we actually are, etc. It was very good to have the time to breath alittle into that space. We haven't had that lately.

This morning we slept in. Well, David slept in. I woke up around 7, worrying about all the work I have to do in the next 2 weeks before the semester ends and trying to do some work online. But, I soaked in the sleeping-in-feeling from David and enjoyed it. We got a late check-out, ordered omelettes and brought them back to eat in our room. Ah, it was lovely.

Then, get this! We went swimming in the ocean! It's the day before Thanksgiving and we went swimming in the ocean. The water was a bit chilly, but it was a beautiful day. I didn't originally think I wanted to "go under", but the waves had other ideas and I was quickly paddling up and under the wave crashes and having a grand time. David and I ALWAYS feel better after we swim in the ocean. It doesn't seem to matter what's happening--our bodies just relax and we feel at ease.

My favorite moment today was after we had been swimming. We had changed into dry clothes and were driving back into St. Augustine with the intention of walking around some. I had this feeling of peace all around me as I drove with my hand in David's and felt the sun shining through the window. We were about to cross over the bridge into downtown when all the traffic stopped. For a moment I got frustrated, but then I realized we were stopping because the drawbridge was going up to let 6 or so sailboats through. Why am I frustrated? I have time! ;) I turned off the engine and David turned on one of our favorite songs. Tears welled up in my eyes as I felt the perfect peace and love of that moment-- holding my husband's hand, watching the tops of the sailboats pass in front of us, listening to a favorite happy love song...

Good stuff.

3 Comments:

At Monday, November 26, 2007 2:45:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Oh, what a wonderful post! I love reading about your relationship with David...the two of you sound like a great match. I'm glad you had such a lovely time together!

 
At Sunday, December 09, 2007 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Abigail!
I'm up from no-contact-land after a lengthy stay there. Glad to read about Temple and how things are going. I'm so glad you're there, and glad you like it. Met a retired doctor today -- now an episcopal priest and missionary in Africa -- who got her medical degree there. Anyhoo, drop me a line and tell me how the semester ended.

 
At Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:26:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

Abigail, I sure miss reading your posts. I hope that you and David are doing well! Best wishes to both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home