Saturday, November 17, 2007

Gratefully Alive Still

I have been very absent from this blog lately- I'm sorry about that! I have missed the connections with those I've met through my blog and hope I haven't lost all my readership from my long no-blog period. Part of my problem I think is that I often post these long discussions on things in my life. That's fun and I enjoy it, but lately I just haven't had the time. So, maybe as a means to continue blogging I could change my ideas of what constitutes blog material and just share alittle something. Any other suggestions for ways to keep blogging when you are busy? Suggestions welcome.

Lots has been happening. I've been to Philadelphia again and am now in the home stretch of the semester. I'm taking a lot of courses and have gone through a lot of reworking to find a way to manage it all. I've had to decide that I don't need to do EVERYTHING at once, because if I do, I really burn out. So, I'm just trying to do one thing at a time. In the meantime I've been seeing my clients, but as the inevitable cancellation happens and a client leaves, I haven't been inviting people on my waiting list to fill the slot. I feel pretty guilty about not seeing the people on my wait list, but I just don't have the time. When I have a break in my client schedule, I just do schoolwork, and I'm realizing that I'm enjoying schoolwork, while I'm not enjoying the work-work so much. So, there ya go.

School feel enriching and interesting and challenging and emotional and intellectual...and just good. Hard, but good. I think this long-distance learning thing means a whole lot more reading and writing than I normally would be doing if I were on campus, and more intense class time. But, it's making it possible for me to go to school from Gainesville, so that's good stuff.

The semester ends December 10, which means that all my papers need to be postmarked the week before that. So, I'm busy researching and writing at the moment. I'm so impressed that I get total access to databases and articles through Temple University's online library site. Very helpful for papers. I have to tell you how grateful I am for my tech-savvy husband. I have been spending the whole semester doing searches through the library site and I keep getting very bad results. Like, I either get 2 results, or 6,000. The last three days I've intensively been searching for sensory stress issues for autism and had found THREE articles! That's it. I need atleast 20 for my Music and Medicine paper. David figured out that I'm using the wrong search principles. Apparantly I can't search in the ways I do on Google. I have to use this older system that I've never heard of. After he helped me I suddenly got exactly what I wanted. I was both very grateful to him, and incredibly frustrated that I've basically wasted 3 days on this. Oh well. I really never would have thought to search:

stress and autis$ not mother$ not parent$

This week David has off from school- well, he sees patients on Monday, but other than that he's off. I closed the clinic too, so we'll get some time together. That is very exciting since I haven't had enough time with my hubby. I'm happiest when we get some good, close moments in a non-busy day. We'll head to St. Augustine for a night and just enjoy ourselves. Also my mom will come over for Thanksgiving. Sounds like fun.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay--you're back!

You do sounds incredibly busy these days. However, it also sounds like you're taking a little time for yourself and for time with David, which is awesome. Best of luck with your end-of-semester work!

 
At Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:12:00 PM, Blogger Hashbrown said...

Hey Abigail
Sounds like school is just what you needed. You'll make it through, alive even. Also, can I borrow your husband when I need to do lit searches for my research?

As for blogging when very busy, it is very hard for me to keep up. I sometimes blog three or four things all at once and then post them over the span of a week. However, as you have probubly noticed, I go weeks to a month without posting because there is JUST NO TIME in my day.

I am very happy to read what you have when you have time for it.

 
At Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:00:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Hey, Hashbrown...sorry for the lateness in my reply. Thanks for your suggestions.

Were you serious about needing help with the lit search stuff? I've been getting some good ideas in classes that I might be able to forward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home