Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A New Stage

I'm back from the conference. I got back late Sunday night and have spent the last few days resting (somehow I seem to have caught a cold), remembering what it's like to be home (snuggling with husband :), and... preparing my application materials to get my Masters from Temple University.

Masters?! You may be asking where that came from. To some extent, I'm asking too. But, this feels very right. In the week before the conference, I was considering it. But, going to the conference really clarified it. I feel that being in an atmosphere of learning, exchanging ideas with others, and forming relationship with others who are broadening their work will add an element that I've been sorely lacking here in Gainesville. Happily, this program is long-distance, so while I will need to fly to Philly twice a semester, I can do this while we're here in Gainesville.

So, the conference was good. I was able to connect with people in a way that I'm unable to in Gainesville, simply because I don't have any local colleagues. That experience showed me a lot about what I need in my life, and what I need to do to be more satisfied professionally.

I didn't get a whole lot of knitting done. These conferences go at light-speed and I rarely have time to sleep, let alone knit. However, I did knit a fair amount on the plane. I had some nice comments from people sitting near me, which is always fun.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Canada said...

WOuld this mean you were in Kansas City? I saw your comment at A Life in Two Keys and The Commuter Blues. I know both Clementine and Hashbrown, and I was at that conference, too (not surprised you got a cold - that hotel was DRY and germ filled, I think!). Good luck on the Master's application - I've heard that Temple is a good program and there is a really great prof there (don't want to post his name in case you don't want Google searches to find you).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home