Monday, October 16, 2006

Starting a blog (catching up on projects)

What does one say in order to start a blog? How about the question of WHY? I started this blog in order to post about my knitting projects and other fiber related escapades. I have considered such a blog since June, when I joined my local Stitch n' Bitch here in Gainesville, FL. A few of the women there have blogs and got me hooked on reading knitblogs. However, it has taken me some time to desire my own knitblog. The reasons I now have such a desire?

1) I'm realizing that Christmas is coming soon. And, when it does, all these beautiful knitted items currently decorating my home will be gone- vamoose! I want a way to remember them for personal reasons. (After all, although they are totally intended for their recipients, they are a part of me.)

2) As knitting has become more than a hobby, and truly a part of my daily living experience, I've been wanting more ways to express myself around it. Sometimes I feel isolated during the week, or put into a particular category when nonknitters see me knitting. Sometimes I lose a sense of why I knit. Don't get me wrong- I always love it, but if enough people think of me as a "sweet young lady who knits socks for her husband- and oh! she must be such a good homemaker!" my eyes start to glaze a bit, and I lose my connection to the realness of my knitting- the texture, the beauty, the passionate excitement. And so, a blog may be a means for me express who I am and explore more of my identity as a knitter.

3) I want to be a part of the online knitting community. When I buy yarn, I'm always browsing people's blogs to see how something knit up for THEM. I'm so grateful for that opportunity and would like to do the same for others.

4) I get to show off. Yippee!

And so, I've taken pictures of the various projects I've completed since, say, April. That is when I really got serious about knitting and those are the projects I feel closest to. Before that point, I had 2 projects I knit over and over again. Firstly, a roll-brim stockinette stitch hat in the round. Very nice, but very "the same". Secondly, dolls from a Waldorf Schooling pattern. There was a man and a woman (and children, but I never bothered to knit them). Here's what I'm talking about (imagine eyes, and maybe some hair, which I would have added if my interest for the SAME project hadn't waned).


Alright...after finishing one of my famous hats in April, I began expanding my knitting by trying my first pair of socks. I stopped by my LYS in order to find the right yarn and pattern. I have since found out from my SnB that this was the wrong move, given the lack of good advise available at our LYS. The owner of the store recommended an acrylic yarn for this pair, and I wasn't knowledgable enough to know better. However, I still love my first pair- even if they are acrylic worsted weight in Florida. They are cozy. (Disregard the spare foot on the left of the picture. My husband David wanted in on the action before his sock's chronological order.)

Abigail's First Socks:

Yarn: Plymouth Encore - Worsted Weight 75% Acrylic, 25% Wool - color 7121

Pattern: Knitting Pure & Simple- Beginner Socks. I used US7 DPNs (way too big)

Comments: I haven't washed these yet. However, I've worn them around the house now and then since their completion and they are already frizzing and almost felting themselves on the bottom. So, while they are very cozy, and I enjoy them a great deal, I won't use this yarn again. The pattern was easy to use.

Somehow after my first pair of socks I had enough gumption to try lace socks (I'd never done lace before). These are for my mother-in-law, with size 5-51/2 feet (nice for socks). I'm well pleased with them, except for the fact that I hadn't yet met the acquaintance of my SnB'ers and still followed the LYS recommendation for acrylic. (What is it with them and acrylic?)

Raindrop Lace Socks - for Mama

Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly - 4 ply 55% Nylon, 45% Acrylic - color 0240

Pattern: Fiber Trends - Raindrop Lace Socks. US2 DPNs

Comments: I like 'em quite a bit. I always feel that lace socks look different when they are ON, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like on her, since I'll never fit them on my feet. The yarn is very soft and, well, "snuggly".

We shall now take a short break from socks to visit a shawl for my best friend, Amy. Amy came to visit, saw this shawl hanging in the LYS, and fell in love. She chose the yarn (fabulous colors) and the pattern. I happily knit it with love. I apologize for the poor picture. I didn't realize at the time I was modeling for a picture.

Amy's Shawl:

Yarn: Fiesta Rayon Boucle, and Fiesta Gelato - both in the color Sandstone

Pattern: Fiesta Yarn's Tasseled Shawl

Comments: I loved the colors in this shawl. However, I found the yarn a pain to knit with. The characteristic that makes it so elegant and sexy in person makes it difficult to handle as a knitter- the yarn is slippery. On big (US17) plastic needles, the effect was accentuated. So, I like the end effect- particularly the beautiful tassels, but don't know if I'll use that yarn again.

You will pleased to know that, in our online timeline, I have now met the SnB'ers, who set me straight about acrylic. My next pair were wool- with Aloe and Jojoba!

Auntie A's Socks

Yarn: Austermann Step Color 10

Pattern: Sockulator Socks

Comments: I really like the Step yarn. It feels really soft for wool, and has a nice firm give to it when knitting up. I don't know if I like the specks in the colors. Honestly these aren't my colors, but I like them better than this color looks in the Austermann color card. The Sockulator pattern worked well for me as a basic guide, besides from a few obvious things that didn't sound quite right.

I liked the Austermann Step so much that I used it for my next pair as well- for my husband David. These were my first toe-up socks.


David's Socks:

Yarn: Austermann Step - color 04

Pattern: I dunno. I collected ideas for toe-up socks. Figure8 cast-on. Short row heel.

Comments: I continue to like the Austermann. It feels good on my fingers to work with. I think I'll stick with cuff-down socks. Somehow the tradition of it appeals to me, and I didn't like the short row heel enough to work harder on it.

So, I decided to try something new at this point.


Brioche Hat:

Yarn: Knitpicks' Wool of the Andes. One skein each of Arctic Pool Heather and Amethyst Heather.

Pattern: Brioche Hat from Melanie Falick's book: "Weekend Knitting"

Comments: I've heard other bloggers refer to this as "the hat from hell". I'll admit to referring to it thus at the very beginning, and at the very end. However, the middle was just wonderful. I just enjoyed it knitting it so much. It was fun and made me feel very clever. I loved the feel of the wool against the Crystal Palace bamboo needles, I loved the colors, I loved the new technique. I think it's so cool that it's reversible.

It took awhile to figure out the cast-on, but with the help of a woman at the SnB, I got that out of the way. I like it.

I also wanted to comment on the flower washcloth from Weekend Knitting. Another project in which I felt very clever. Clever because of the cool pattern, and also because I used my first stash yarn! I used Knitpicks Crayon in Azure as a substitute for the Cotton Chenille. Since then I have felt the Cotton Chenille, and I will happily say I much prefer the Knitpicks Crayon. The Crayon is so soft and fluffy. I like it. It was a bit annoying to knit with- got caught on the needles now and then. But, I got over it, and I like the effect, particularly with this washcloth.

Well, that's all for now. Future posts shouldn't be nearly so long. I had a lot to cover! *whew*

5 Comments:

At Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:50:00 PM, Blogger idyllicchick said...

Welcome to the cult! Errr... CLUB! =)

 
At Friday, October 20, 2006 8:42:00 AM, Blogger Lorena said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! ;-)

 
At Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:52:00 AM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Thanks everyone. You all are the reason for my leap into the blogworld. :)

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 3:13:00 PM, Blogger Clementine said...

You know what's freaky? When you see someone's completed knitting project and you think, "Hey, that's the washcloth and hat from Weekend Knitting!" I'm such a nerd.

Your work is beautiful!

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 3:25:00 PM, Blogger LymeAware said...

Well gee, thanks Clementine!

Lol. I know what you mean about the nerd-ness. I have those moments too. I didn't realize you were also a knitter. I feel excited to have found you and Petunia online. It's nice to have new blogs and connections to make.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home